I spent many years researching the Philippines and the records (in Spanish) 
had the same exact term.  And in my own family I saw my 2x 
great-grandmother having lots of children without her husband around, and 
then I found a marriage record at a later date, then saw all of their 
children's baptism carrying their father's name as well as their father 
being listed.  I realized then, and understand the confusion with my own 
great-grandmother having being baptized with her mother's surname but was 
known only with her father's surname.

According to what I was told by a historian, it had to do with economics 
and when they could afford to get married, they would. This explained why 
in the church records for my grandmother's town a lot of people would get 
married on the same dates.

Kalani

On Thursday, July 10, 2014 2:57:37 PM UTC-7, IslandRoutes wrote:
>
> I have had the opportunity to work on lines in the Azores and Southern 
> France (not Portuguese...LOL)  I noticed something that made me wonder 
> about terms.  In France, there is an equivalent to Pai Incognito.  It 
> escapes me at this moment, but it isn't important.  It means the same thing 
> that the father is unknown.    But, you almost equally see "fil naturel" or 
> something similar.  This means the child was born to an unmarried couple.  
> It is followed by the name of the father and the mother.   The father 
> claims his children in this case.
>
> I learned from other French researchers that up through the mid 1800s 
> (maybe later), many couples could not afford to pay the necessary fees at 
> the civil and church level.  Instead, they set up house and started their 
> family as if they were married.  They would save up money and then when 
> they could afford it, they would go do the necessary things to be 
> officially married.  In these cases you always saw the children baptized as 
> fil naturel and with the father's name given.  It was not an uncommon 
> practice amongst the poor. I have a couple in my tree in the 1780s.  It is 
> a little peculiar when you find the baptismals then 5-10 years later you 
> find the marriage.
>
> This made me wonder about the Pai Incognitos in the Azorean records that I 
> have found.  Was there a similar thing in the Azorean culture?  Did couples 
> who were poor start their families without an official marriage or was this 
> something specific to France--or maybe even Southern France where my Dad's 
> line hails from?  
>
> I really started to wonder about it after working on my cousin's Raposo 
> line.  Her great grandmother had at least two children where the father was 
> Pai Incognito and her great great grandmother also had at least two 
> children where the father was Pai Incognito.   I don't recall seeing 
> multiple Pai Incognitos in one family, and with mother and daughter, though 
> I guess I haven't really looked that hard since it wasn't in my direct line.
>
> Interested to know what others think.  I have very little knowledge of 
> Azorean culture during the 1700 and 1800s.
>
> Thanks 
> Mel
>

-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to