The following is from an Azores Government publication concerning the
Hawaiian migration.

 "The Portuguese migration to Hawaii was fueled by poor economic conditions
in the mother country, and
particularly in Madeira. The production and export of fine wines had been
for many years the mainstay of the
Madeiran economy. During the 1850's, however, the vineyards were laid waste
by a blight that crippled the wine
industry for decades. Unemployment and hunger followed the destruction of
the vineyards. As conditions worsened,
Madeirans looked for a better way of life in Brazil, the United States and
Hawaii.

During this same period, the Kingdom of Hawaii was in need of laborers for
her sugar plantations. The large scale
cultivation of sugar depended upon a continuous supply of inexpensive
labor. The demand for plantation
workers increased after Hawaii concluded a Reciprocity Treaty with the
United States in 1876, which facilitated the
exportation of Hawaiian sugar. The dramatic decline of the Hawaiian
population had caused planters and government
officials to look abroad for suitable immigrants to work the land and
increase the population of the Kingdom. Several
thousand Chinese emigrated to Hawaii during the 1860's and 1870's. Yet the
Chinese seldom brought their families,
and distinct cultural differences between the Chinese and other residents
of Hawaii caused many of the latter to
demand an end to the large scale importation of workers from China.

In 1876, *Mr. Jacintho Pereira,* a Portuguese citizen and proprietor of a
successful dry goods store in Honolulu,
came forward with an interesting idea. Pereira suggested that the Hawaiian
government investigate the possibility of
solving Hawaii's labor and population problems by encouraging the
immigration of Portuguese from Madeira. The
government contacted *Dr. William Hillebrand* who was living at that time
in Funchal. Hillbrand acted as Hawaii's
agent, and carried out all of the details required to place the first
contingent of Portuguese immigrants aboard the
Priscilla."

*1853* Census shows 87 Portuguese in Hawaii.

*1876* Jacinto Perreira, a Portuguese merchant residing in Hawaii
recommends to the Kingdom the immigration of
          Portuguese to Hawaii to help solve the labor problems.

*1877* The St. Antonio Society, a Portuguese benevolent association, is
established in Honolulu.

*1878* Census shows more than 400 Portuguese in Hawaii.

*1878* The ship Priscilla arrives in Honolulu harbor on September 30. 1878
with the first major contingent of Portuguese
           immigrants to Hawaii (about 120 men, women and children).

*1879* The ship Ravenscrag arrives in Honolulu harbor on August 23, 1879
with the second large group of Portuguese
          settlers in Hawaii (419 men, women and children). These settlers
brought with them the Portuguese braguinha,
              the instrument that became the 'ukulele.

*1882* The Government of Hawaii signs an immigration treaty with Portugal.

*1893* Portuguese support the establishment of the Hawaiian Republic.

*1900* Portuguese population numbers 18,272, approximately 12% of the total
population of the Hawaiian Islands.

*1900* to Period of Portuguese migration from the plantations to Honolulu
and other towns.

*1913* The Ascot arrives in Honolulu harbor with 1,283 Portuguese
immigrants aboard. This ship is usually considered
           the last of the 29 immigrant ships.

*                                       Ships bearing Portuguese Settlers
to Hawaii, 1878-1913*

1. September 30, 1878 Ship Priscilla (German bark) arrived 116 days out
from Funchal, Madeira, with 80 men, 40 women, 60 children.
Total 180. (Portuguese consular documents indicate approximately 120
passengers).

2. August 23, 1879 Ship Ravenscrag (British) arrived 123 days out from
Madeira with 133 men, 110 women, 176 children. Total 419.
3. January 24, 1880

Ship High Flyer (British bark) arrived 99 days out from *St. Michael,
Azores,* with 109 men, 81 women, 147 children.
Total 337.

4. May 2, 1881 Ship High Flyer (British bark) arrived 130 days out from *St.
Michael, Azores*, with 173 men, 66 women, 113 children.
Total 352.

5. August 25, 1881 Ship Suffolk (British bark) arrived 102 days out from *St.
Michael, Azores*, with 206 men, 100 women, 182 children.
Total 488.

6. March 27, 1882 Ship Earl Delhausie (British bark) arrived 113 days out
from *St. Michael, Azores*, with 94 men, 82 women, 146
children. Total 322.

7. June 8, 1882 Steamship Monarch (British) arrived 57 days out from *St.
Michael, Azores*, with 202 men, 197 women, 458 children.
Total 857.

8. September 15, 1882 Steamship Hansa (British) arrived 70 days out from
*Azores*, with 307 men, 286 women, 584 children. Total 1177.

9. May 4, 1883 Steamship Abergeldie (British) arrived 62 days out from*
Azores*, with 264 men, 190 women, 484 children. Total
938.

10. July 9, 1883 Steamship Hankow (British) arrived 66 days out from *St.
Michael, Azores*, & Madeira with 427 men, 317 women,
718 children. Total 1462.

11. November 1, 1883 Steamship Bell Rock (British) arrived 99 days out from
*Azores*, with 109 men, 81 women,147 children. Total 337.

12. June 13, 1884 Steamship City of Paris (British) arrived 74 days out
from Madeira & *St. Michael, Azores*, with 295 men, 199
women, 330 children. Total 824.

13. October 3, 1884 Steamship Bordeaux (French) arrived 72 days out from
Madeira, with 273 men, 173 women, 262 children. Total
708.

14. January 19, 1885 Ship Daca (British) arrived 114 days out from Madeira,
with 63 men, 50 women, 165 children. Total 278.

15. March 4, 1886 Ship Stirlingshire (British) arrived 112 days out from
Madeira, with 157 men, 107 women, 203 children. Total 467.

16. September 23, 1886 Ship Amana (British) arrived 142 days out from
Madeira, with 146 men, 116 women, 239 children. Total 501.

17. April 13, 1888  Bark Thomas Bell (British) arrived 156 days out from
Madeira, with 117 men, 62 women, 163 children. Total 342.

18. April 4, 1895 Steamship Braunfels (German) arrived 68 days out from *Ponta
Delgada, Azores*, with 274 men, 124 women, 259
children. Total 657.

19. September 13, 1899 Steamship Victoria (British) arrived 67 days out
from Madeira, with 215 men, 56 women, 72 children. Total 343.

20. December 24, 1900 Steamship Warrimo from Vancouver with 60 men, 14
women, 18 children. Total 92.

21. December 1, 1906 Steamship Suveric from Montevideo, with 459 men, 283
women, 582 children. Total 1324.

22. April 26, 1907 Steamship Heliopolis (Spanish) from *Fayal, Azores* &
Malaga, with 608 men, 554 women, 1084 children. Total
2246.

23. June 27, 1907 Steamship Kumeric from Funchal, Madeira, with 333 men,
306 women, 457 children. Total 1114.

24. December 12, 1909 Steamship Swanley from Madeira and *Azores,* with 337
men, 221 women, 310 children. Total 868.

25. April 13, 1911 Steamship Osteric from Madeira and continent, with 547
men, 373 women, 531 children. Total 1451.

26. December 3, 1911 Steamship Willesden from *Azores* and continent, with
639 men, 400 women, 758 children. Total 1797
.
27. April 16, 1912 Steamship Harpalien from* Azores* and continent, with
496 men, 328 women, 626 children. Total 1450.

28. March 30, 1913 Steamship Willesden from *Azores Islands* and continent,
with 491 men, 377 women, 440 children. Total 1308.

29. June 4, 1913 Steamship Ascot from* Islands* and continent, with 424
men, 327 women, 532 children. Total 1283.

JOHN HENRY FELIX, PH. D. & PETER F. SENECAL, PH.D.
Excerpt from "The Portuguese in Hawaii"

What is not mentioned in the above is that the passage for workers and
their families was free in exchange for a contract to stay employed in the
plantations for a set period of time.

Five years is most commonly mentioned, but it seemed to change after 1900.

After 1900 , discontent with the plantation system and it's increasingly
harsh conditions prompted many Portuguese to fufill there minimum work
contract and emigrate to California

Eric Edgar