Hi mnk,

Your scenario is certainly possible, but I still argue for two different
women named "Florença" here.

See point 1, where I mention that that same priest _before_ and _after_
1806 never referred to "our" Florença as a slave, but that same priest did
refer to the "mulata" Florença as a slave (note that I actually didn't
check if it was the same priest, but it's certainly the same parish within
a 20-year span. Maybe the 1806 priest was different from the one 10 years
before and the one 10 years later.)
Also see point 4, where I do say "usually". I grant you that eventually
they did marry, but what occurred in most cases was that they would be
house servants to some 'richer' society element. Normally, they would share
the bed with someone in the house, and their offspring would have 'pai
incognito'. That occurred to both these Florenças. In the case of the
slave, I'd bet the father of Cláudia was the slave owner.

I've searched the Flores marriage book for the marriage of a Cláudia,
daughter of Florença, but I never found it.

João Ventura
http://tombo.pt/en