Would that be the case if there's no mention of lençol? The phrase used is
"enamuma sepultado no corpo depois......" what follows depois looks like
dum volto en huã mortalha but I can't quite make it out.
MaryAnn

http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-RG-FENAISAJUDA-O-1817-1839/SMG-RG-FENAISAJUDA-O-1817-1839_item1/P125.html

On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 1:44 PM, 'John Raposo' via Azores Genealogy <
azores@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> I think we need to be careful about reading too much into burial in a
> white shroud. I have seen some death records that state the deceased was
> buried in a white shroud (usually a bed sheet /lençol: "she was wrapped in
> a bed sheet because she had nothing else in which to be buried...") because
> they simply were so poor they had nothing but rags to wear. I also think
> that sometimes, providing the deceased with a full set of clothes might
> have been a luxury, especially if you had a lot of children, some of whom
> approaching adolesence, who could really benefit from the "hand me downs."
>

>   On Thursday, October 9, 2014 1:08 PM, "robertaing...@gmail.com" <
> robertaing...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Doug,
>
> I don't know what you mean by nearly 100%, it would depend a lot of the
> custom of the place/people. Catholics, in general, do not have this custom.
> Unless, as someone mentioned, the person was baptized as an adult or maybe
> right before dying. But I never heard of such a custom in Brazil.
>
> Roberta
>
> On Sunday, September 28, 2014 9:38:44 AM UTC-7, Doug da Rocha Holmes wrote:
>
> MaryAnn,
>
> That's how almost everyone was buried - nearly 100%.
>
> Doug da Rocha Holmes
> Sacramento, California
> Pico & Terceira Genealogist
> 916-550-1618
> www.dholmes.com

*MaryAnn Santos*
Senior Advisement and Student Affairs Administrator
Department of Art and Art Professions
NYU/Steinhardt
212.998.5702
m...@nyu.edu