I don't know if there is any such record. In my experience people just 
adopted those names. I have seen a few instances where a side margin note 
indicated a first name change at charisma. I followed this formerly Jewish 
couple from Morocco and after one generation they started using the 
spouse's surname and not their own. I would guess if there is legal 
requirement, it would be the notary books. I don't think we can use today's 
more stringent legal requirements for such changes and expect it was used 
in the past. People more familiar with court issues in Portugal might shed 
more light on this.

JR  

On Thursday, November 20, 2014 7:16:52 PM UTC-5, Ângela Loura wrote:
>
> When Ruffino was born, he was left at the Câmara's doorsteps ("pais 
> incógnitos"). 
> In his marriage record, as well as in his daugther Anna Julia's baptism 
> record, he is listed as Ruffino *da Câmara*.
> By the time his children get married, he is listed as Rufino *Cabral*. 
> At first i thought the priest had "to much vino" and listed Rufino with 
> Anna Julia's groom's surname (Cabral), but then i found Rufino's death 
> record, where he is also listed as Cabral.
> Do you know if there's a way to find out when Rufino changed his surname 
> from "da Câmara" to "Cabral"? I don't know which kind of record it would 
> be, or some kind of additional note?
> What's your ipinion?
> Thanks!
>
> Ruffino's baptism record: 
> http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMA-VP-ASSUNCAO-B-1802-1809/SMA-VP-ASSUNCAO-B-1802-1809_item1/P47.html
>  (T.Right)
> Ruffino's marriage record: 
> http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMA-VP-ASSUNCAO-C-1823-1837/SMA-VP-ASSUNCAO-C-1823-1837_item1/P61.html
>  (Right)
> Ruffino's daughter Anna baptism record:
> http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMA-VP-ASSUNCAO-B-1828-1834/SMA-VP-ASSUNCAO-B-1828-1834_item1/P135.html
>  (B.Left)
> Ruffino's daughter Anna marriage record:
> http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMA-VP-ASSUNCAO-C-1860-1862/SMA-VP-ASSUNCAO-C-1860-1862_item1/P27.html
>  (Right)
> Ruffino's death record: 
> http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMA-VP-ASSUNCAO-O-1865-1869/SMA-VP-ASSUNCAO-O-1865-1869_item1/P45.html
>  
> (B.Right)
>
> Ângela Loura
>

-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to