Roberta I,

Some indices were created for some books in some freguesias.  Some of the
these indices are part of the book itself, done by the parish priest.
Generally, I click on the group of records that I want to see and then I go
to the back of the book (the last few images on the CCA) to see if an index
was created.  I seem to find more indices in the later records (late 1800s
onwards).

A few freguesias have separate indices in separate books.  These are listed
on the CCA site if they exist.  What I find easier is to use the Tombo
site, as he crawls the CCA and presents the links that exist for that
freguesia/parish on one page (clicking on the individual links takes you
back to the CCA however).

Here is an example of indices that were created as separate books for the
freguesia of Ponta Garca on Sao Miguel island:
http://tombo.pt/f/vfc02
You can see right of the bat what the CCA holds for Ponta Garca: Baptisms,
marriages, indices, deaths, and perfilhaƧoes.

However, if the records are indexed in the back of the baptism book there's
no way to tell if an index exists.  Look at this example from Ribeira das
Tainhas on Sao Miguel island:
http://tombo.pt/f/vfc05
Only baptisms, marriages, deaths, and perfilhaƧoes are listed.
Yet if I go to baptisms for 1900 and click on image 24 & 25, I can see the
index to the records of that year:
http://goo.gl/JlrrkG

You just have to look.

Question 2:  Yes civil registries existed, but the early ones were mainly
used by non-Catholics.  I believe the Civil Registry system became
widespread in 1910 or 1911.  Everyone, Catholic or not, had to register.
As for the grandparents names, I don't know.  All my people were Catholic
and I don't think I had to look in the Civil Registries.  But if I had to
guess, I would think that *IF* they asked for grandparents' names, it would
be the late 1800s onwards.

Question 3:  Yes, if we knew the name, date, place then we'd have the
information that the record contains.  Same thing with American arrival
records.  Many of us want the ship name and yet the form asks us for it.
If we knew it, we wouldn't be asking.  Just give them as much information
has you have so they have enough information to figure out it is the right
record.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas,
Achada

-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to