I have not been to Sao Miguel since 2009; however, having been there 6 times 
in all, I have found a wonderful (I don't use that word lightly) person that 
has helped me each time I have been there.  His name is Carlos Rego and he is a 
taxi driver.  He is known as "Shapatoo" at least that is how it sounds to me.  
The last cell # I have for Carlos is: 96-2374966.  I do not have a cell phone 
so if he is not at the Taxi stop, I have asked one of the drivers to call him 
and he comes to pick me up.  Carlos also knows of many places to stay in Ponta 
Delgada.  He has found one close to the archives so I could walk there; near a 
place I want to research and even within my budget when I am nearing the end of 
the trip!   Carlos parks his taxi across from the main church in Ponta Delgada 
and any taxi driver can point him out to you.  His English is good and he is 
very enthusiastic about helping you find whatever you seek.   Just a small 
example of one of my experiences with Carlos:  We had gone to one of the 
villages to try to locate a copy of the ancestor's baptism.  We found the 
church and, of course, it was locked tight.  I was very disappointed since I 
only had that day to research in that village.     Carlos parked the taxi, said 
he would be right back, ran up and down the street yelling, "Who has the key, 
who has the key to the church."  I thought he had gone crazy.  A woman stepped 
out her door onto her porch, said she had the key and Carlos and the woman with 
the key returned to the church to let me look at the books they had there.   
This happened early on in my research experience and I did not know that the 
books for the year I needed were in the archive, not at the church.  With 
Carlos' help, I was able to take a picture of the baptismal font where the 
ancestor had been baptized.  (This became something I have done for every 
ancestor for whom I do not have a picture.  I feel it connects me to the 
person.)   Feel free to contact me if I can be of any additional help.Celeste   
Celeste Perry [email protected]

-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to