I have dates of birth for Jozimos and 9 of his siblings.  BUT, I don't have a 
Rosa.  Do you have any birth info for Rosa?
Shirley in CA
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: IslandRoutes 
  To: [email protected] 
  Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2015 11:57 AM
  Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Sharing My Discovery: Maia, RG roots go to Canada


  I've made a really neat discovery and wanted to share!  

  About a year ago, my cousins in Massachusetts found a woman who has the 
surname Remigio Pacheco.  Her roots are in Brasil.  But, in the 1890s a female 
ancestor went to Maia, Ribeira Grande, Sao Miguel Island.  A few decades later, 
her line went to Canada where she lives today.

  We spent many months trying to sort out a connection from the descendants of 
Remigio Pacheco of Maia (son of Antonio Pacheco de Resendes and Anna Pacheco de 
Medeiros.  Truth be told, I am skeptical of a connection on this line.  Her 
ancestors were in Brasil for many generations well before 1700.  Remigio 
Pacheco, the first in the line to have any form of that name, was born 2 Feb 
1799.  The Remigio Pacheco surname does appear in her line until about the 
1870, but there doesn't seem to be any outside connection.  I don't find anyone 
anywhere along her line coming from Maia to Brasil.  We may still find a link, 
I'm just not sure where.

  At any rate, last weekend, I was given a photo from a cousin in MA that was 
her grandfather on the Pacheco Remigio line.  Then, I was given a photo of the 
great grandparents of the woman in Canada.  I couldn't help but notice that the 
two men resembled each other.  The likeness was uncanny.

  I decided to follow the trail of the Canadian woman's ancestor Jose Jacintho 
de Medeiros (who married the Remigio Pacheco born in Brasil but migrated to 
Maia, RG around 1890).  I found out that the two lines did not connect at 
Remigio Pacheco.  They connect on the maternal line of Furtado!

  Their joint ancestors were Antonio Furtado (aka Antonio Furtado dos Santos) 
and Maria Joaquina Freitas.  Antonio and Maria had at least two children:  
Francisca Julia da Conceicao, b. 11 May 1840 in Maia, who married Jacintho 
Pacheco Remigio (the ancestors of the Massachusetts line) and Jose Furtado (aka 
Jose Jacintho de Medeiros), b. 10 Mar 1839, who married Maria Emilia Remigio 
Pacheco of Brasil (the ancestor of the Canadian line).  

  The two men in the photos I was shown turned out to be first cousins.  No 
wonder they resembled each other so much!  As with genealogy, they connect it 
is just not in the way that we expected.

  There is a double connection because Antonio Furtado remarried after his wife 
died to my great great grandfather, Jozimas de Braga's sister, Rosa.  So, the 
web gets even more tangled!

  This is my first connection to Canada, though distant as it may be.


  -- 
  For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that 
says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
  --- 
  You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
  To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
email to [email protected].
  Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to