Thank you Margaret.  I was reading what I now know as (thanks to you) 
"coroa tocou"  as one word co???to-cou.  
No wonder I couldn't figure it out even though the handwriting is very nice.

Bill

On Sunday, February 22, 2015 at 5:53:07 AM UTC-8, Mara wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> The word is "coroa" CROWN.  "Our Lady of Miracles was invoked as the 
> Godmother and they touched the baby's head with her crown".  
>
> That was one of the practice's up to this day.  Not very common but 
> usually based on a faith promise e.g. if the baby is healthy and all goes 
> well Our Lady will be the Godmother.
>
>
>
>
>
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 3:28 AM, <[email protected] <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> I found the baptism of my wife's paternal grandfather João Baptista 
>> Cordeiro in Urzelina, São Jorge Island but I am struggling to read was 
>> written for his madrinha.  I have the padrinho as Antonio Machado Lisboa, 
>> but for madrinha it looks like instead of a name it has "a invocação de 
>> Nossa Senhora dos Milagres, com cuja c*???????* na cabeça do baptizado"
>>
>> I can't make out the word(s) between cuja and na cabeça, but I think I 
>> have the rest correct.  Can someone correct what I have, fill in the blank, 
>> or explain this to me.  I haven't seen this before.  Are they praying for 
>> help in determining a madrinha?
>>
>>
>> http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SJR-VL-URZELINA-B-1890-1899/SJR-VL-URZELINA-B-1890-1899_item1/P61.html
>> It is João, starting on lower left and continuing on the right side.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bill Seidler
>>
>> -- 
>> For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
>> (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
>> http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the 
>> right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my 
>> membership."
>> --- 
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
>> "Azores Genealogy" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
>> email to [email protected] <javascript:>.
>> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.
>>
>
>
>
> -- 
> Margaret M Vicente
>  

-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to