Most churches do not have records before 1910 because they were confiscated by
the new Republic and became "civil records". Records before 1914 should be at
the Archives and are usually available.
As for post 1910 Church records, those are kept at the local parish. Access to
them depends entirely on the parish priest. Some priests will only look up a
particular record and issue it to you if he finds it. He will not research
(much) nor will he allow you to go through the book yourself. Some priests will
gladly engage you and do a thorough search. Other priests, especially if he is
your cousin, or was your father's class mate, or knew your relatives well,
might just sit you down in front of a desk, bring you the registers and tell
you to knock yourself out. (Before anybody thinks I am exaggerating, I have had
that felicitous experience myself and know of others who had that fortuitous
response.)
It really all depends on the priest and/or you connections. "Cunhas" are still
very important in the Azores. Do not let anybody tell you otherwise.
Good luck, Hank!
John M. Raposo
On Thursday, July 9, 2015 12:36 PM, Marilyn Thompson <[email protected]>
wrote:
If I remember right in 1911 the events -birth- marriage-deaths are in the
civil registration offices. There should still be copy in the parish I would
think.
I am sure someone with more knowledge will chime in.
On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 9:01 AM, Hank Cupper <[email protected]> wrote:
I’m traveling to Flores, my home island, in late August with my cousin Deanna.
We hope to find other cousins still living there. Our direct ancestors left in
1880, but thanks to Cheri and Rosemarie’s super workshop in Salt Lake City I’ve
now got a huge pre-1910 family tree. They were fertile and healthy! Does
anyone have advice or tips about getting access to local church records in the
islands? I have a contact in the village, but I don’t think she’s much of a
church goer. Do I contact the priest directly? Or do I have to contact the
diocese first? Or...?? If we can just bridge a generation or two I think
we’ll find we’re related to just about everyone there! Hank Cupper--
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation)
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that
says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.
--
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation)
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that
says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.
--
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation)
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.