I want to thank everyone for responding.  This has been interesting
especially the suggestions that the person traveled, colonial Portuguese in
Africa, and so forth.  I have asked the person if they would allow me to
post the image they have of the tattoos for this group to see.

You can research for decades and still see something you have never seen
before!

Thanks for your help!