The English teacher in me writes:

"Proper" citation depends upon the discipline involved and the specific
reading audience. The two main styles used throughout the U.S. are those of
the Modern Language Association (MLA) and the American Psychological
Association (APA). The two are similar and also significantly different.
Every English department uses MLA and social sciences use APA. Each style
differs because of the type of sources used and what aspects of those
sources are more important. For example, for an in-text citation, MLA
requires name and page number but APA requires name and year of
publication. MLA is more interested in exactly where the citation came from
and APA is more interested in how current the information is. MLA requires
a "works cited" page that provides full publication information in a
particular order and APA requires a "references list" with information in a
different particular order. There are several other styles in use as well.

"How do I cite . . . ?" depends on what audience you're writing for.
Regardless of audience, you know some things need to be available for your
reader:

   - The source you used for the information you cite. For a general
   audience, a simple "signal phrase" at the start of the sentence telling
   readers where you got it is sufficient. In terms the information frommy
   grandfather's birth registration, that I read the physical record book in
   the Horta archives, accessed the same page online via the CCA site, and had
   Vanda Fraga, a notary in Madalena, Pico, get a certified record for me
   doesn't really make any difference in terms of the information. All three
   provided me the same basic information. If I just say where I got it in the
   sentence, that's probably good enough.
   - What should the reader be able to do with your source? If the reader
   should be able to duplicate your method and find the exact same
   information, then you need to tell the reader exactly where you looked. If
   there is no reason for the reader to duplicate your effort, there's no need
   for a formal citation.
   - If you are publishing an article in a professional journal, your
   readers have specific expectations of how you cite your sources. Follow
   those guidelines. Without researching the point at all, I have a hunch
   genealogy falls within the general umbrella of social sciences, so journals
   would use APA. Posts to this list would not.

Can you tell I'm teaching Freshman Composition online while spending the
summer here in the Azores? :-)

Tomás Leal