Very interesting & informative! Thank you!
Sherry

In a message dated 11/15/2015 10:30:48 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
tomasl...@comcast.net writes:

We  have a canada running through our property on Pico. It's a footpath
running  from the rua up the side of the hill to allow access to the various
terraces  which are land-locked. Canadas started as footpaths, whether
providing access  to terraces above, cutting through a woods, or leading to
someone’
s house from  one of the “caminhos,” which were more used roads within and
between towns. To  identify where someone lived or something was, villagers
gave names to many of  the canadas. Over time, some of the canadas got
widened so a cart could get  through and some got gravel put on them. Outside
of
the established cities  such as Ponta Delgada, Angra, Horta, and a few
others, most Azorean roads had  only popular names the locals used until the
second half of the 20th century,  when "official" names came into being. Some
canadas became newly-named roads  that kept the word "canada" in their names,
but often these new  roads were given names honoring various individuals.
Thus, a canada name that  appears on an old birth, marriage, or death
registration may no longer exist  by that name—if it exists at all today.
Sometimes, oldtimers remember where a  certain canada used to be or what name a
current road popularly had in the  past.  As a result, a canada can be a
nameless
footpath but today it  could also be a back alley or a minor road in a
town.

Tomás Leal

--
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No  Mail
that says