JPGough,

In Portuguese the names would be Jose Carlos Rapozo. His wife would be
Maria. Sanchez is Spanish, not Portuguese. I don't know if you are trying
to say Santos or what.

You need a name, date, and a place to get started. You don't have the
place. Everything in Europe is organized on the town level. You need to
find their village (freguesia).

Here's a how to on getting started:
goo.gl/LnH8wC

Also there will be a Portuguese genealogy conference in Salt Lake City,
Utah, Sept 6-9. More information can be found here: goo.gl/j3XpdL or here:
goo.gl/GkxEV3

Achada