Cathy,

Hello cousin! I think I found the birth record for your José Tavares in
Rabo de Peixe.
Top left, 1st record:

http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-RG-RABODEPEIXE-B-1642-1689/SMG-RG-RABODEPEIXE-B-1642-1689_item1/P214.html

1 jun 1678, José son of Francisco Tavares, single, the son of Francisco
Pires, deceased; and Maria Fernandes Navarro, single. Godparents: João de
Sousa Vieira and Bárbara da Silva, midwife.

That's very interesting, it's the third line we are connected to. I also
descend from Maria Fernandes Navarro! Can you believe it? She married
Antonio Pereira in Rabo de Peixe on 26 feb 1693 - CCA #50, but
unfortunately the record doesn´t mention their parents.

I think it's possible that your Francisco Tavares was born in Rabo de Peixe
on 6 nov 1639 - CCA #80 and was the son of Francisco Pires and Isabel
Cabral married in Rabo de Peixe on 15 nov 1634 - CCA #27.  Francisco Pires
was the son of Antonio Dias and Isabel Nunes. Isabel Cabral was the
daughter of Baltazar Tavares and Maria da Silva.
This Francisco is the only one that was born in Rabo de Peixe before 1662
until 1639 that had a father named Francisco Pires.

Manoel