Hi
That is so interesting, never thought back then there was other religions in 
the Azores. 
By the way my maiden name was Raposo. What Island are you from?
Maria

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 13, 2016, at 4:03 AM, 'John Raposo' via Azores Genealogy 
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> Allow me to share an interesting experience in this regard.
> As many people know, now that I am retired, I do genealogical research as a 
> side line. Not too long ago a potential client contacted me with the basics 
> (parents, grandparents and great grandparents' vital dates, freguesia, etc) 
> in order for me to advise if further research was feasible. Despite the very 
> precise information, I could not locate any of her people. I e-mailed her to 
> ask if maybe she had given me the wrong years, the wrong Parish). She 
> e-mailed back and assured me that she had not. And then she added "They were 
> all Seventh Day Adventists. Does that make a difference?" It did. I was never 
> going to find what I needed in the parish registers. I made the mistake that 
> these folks were among the 98% nominally Catholic population of the 19th 
> century. 
> We were able to overcome these obstacles on her paternal line and I think 
> we'll be able to do the same on her maternal line. The films go only to about 
> 1885 and they do not include all Registo Civil records. In fact, the Registo 
> Civil was not fully up and running throughout the islands until after the 
> proclamation of the Republic.
> From now on, I will routinely ask potential clients if their ancestors were 
> Catholic.
> 
> John Miranda Raposo
> 
> 
> On Tuesday, July 12, 2016 8:41 PM, Cheri Mello <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> 
> They may be in the Civil Registry records, depending on the time period. You 
> have to order those on microfilm from the Family History Library (FHL). I 
> don't think they are on the CCA. But you can double check.
> 
> Cheri Mello
> Listowner, Azores-Gen
> Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, 
> Achada
> -- 
> For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
> (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
> http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right 
> that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
> --- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "Azores Genealogy" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
> email to [email protected].
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/azores.
> 
> 
> -- 
> For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
> (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
> http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right 
> that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
> --- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "Azores Genealogy" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
> email to [email protected].
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/azores.

-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to