The oldest Jewish Synagogue  is on Sao Miguel Island Azores and was recently 
restored. 
I will see if I can find an article on it and post it. George ( Pereira ) 
Medeiros


Sent from my iPad

On Jul 13, 2016, at 3:29 PM, Shirl Sereque <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ponta Delgada
> 
>    If my memory is correct, there is a Jewish synagogue there, too.  I have 
> some photos of it somewhere on my computer.
> - Shirl -
> 
> 
> On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 12:59 PM, Cheri Mello <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> 
> Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I swear there were a few (very few) 
> Civil Registries beginning in the 1830s (this would have been Sao Miguel 
> island). I'll have to dig around and see what I can find.
> I worked with a student from Terceira. She came to America 3 years ago. I 
> don't remember how it came up, but I mentioned my mom was raised Baptist. She 
> looked at me and asked if that was one of those other Christian religions. I 
> said yes. She said that she didn't know any other religions existed until she 
> moved to America. In her 11 year old mind, the whole world was Catholic. 
> Every freguesia she went to had a Catholic church and had a festa in honor of 
> a saint (or Holy Spirit). So as John said, they are pretty darn Catholic.
> (On Sao Miguel island, I saw one Evangelical church and the LDS (Mormon) 
> church. There were both in the capital city of Ponta Delgada).
> 
> Cheri
> -- 
> For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
> (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
> http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right 
> that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
> --- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "Azores Genealogy" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
> email to [email protected].
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/azores.
> 
> 
> -- 
> For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
> (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
> http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right 
> that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
> --- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "Azores Genealogy" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
> email to [email protected].
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/azores.

-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to