My father (Jaime Cunha Dias) was a lost husband.  I didn't know anything
about this story until a few years ago when I found his WW1 draft
registration on Ancestry.  It's complicated but maybe not too different
from many other stories.  My father, born in 1890, spent many of his young
years going back and forth with his family between his home in Guadalupe,
Graciosa and a life in Lowell, MA.  in 1910 he went back to Guadalupe,
married his next door neighbor (Maria Tomazia Cunha) and brought her back
to MA.  They Americanized their names, (James and Mary Dyers)and in the
next 10 years they had 4 children.  In 1921 his wife, pregnant with their
5th child, took the children back to Graciosa to meet the grandparents.  No
one knows for sure what happened after that.  One story is that her mother
became ill and she stayed to care for her and had her baby.  At the same
time, US immigration laws tightened (true) and she was not able to come
back to the US.  The other story is that my father was supposed to follow
her to Graciosa but, though he sent money to support the family for a few
years, he never went back.  More stories tell that he was injured on his
job in the textile mill in Lawrence, lost his job and left the area to find
work.  Whatever happened, in 1932 he met and married my mother in
Wilkes-Barre, PA, and my sister was born the next year.  I was born in
1942, my dad was 52 years old.  He died in 1983, almost 93 years old.  He
took this sad story to the grave with him.  I'm certain my mother never
knew any of this.  She died in 1989.  In 2011 with extreme good luck and
wonderful help from people on this listserve, I was able to find my other
family in MA.  We have all met each other.  This first family was a
generation older than I, so my nieces and nephew are my age.  None of my
half siblings are still alive.  Just as this first family was a huge
surprise to me, I was a huge surprise to them also.   But they accepted me
with open arms and much love and we are now all one family.  They are the
source of all these stories about what might have happened.  The first
family finally came to America in the 1950s when "the ports opened" but
they all eventually believed that my father had died sometime along the
way. This is very long but I'm hoping that someone out there on the list
might miraculously know something about my family.