Here is the story that I entered into my program from bits and pieces of family
lore….my not so nice great-great grandfather Manuel Pereira Vargas born 18
April 1818 in Castelo Branco, Faial….died somewhere in Brazil I guess!

Manuel was said to go to the United States to be a miner. His grandson, Albino
Vargas (who lived most of his life in the Azores), said he left the Azores when
his son Antonio was about two years old, which would be about 1844. This would
agree with the fact that he and his wife had no children after 1942 in Faial
baptismal records.  His son, Frank, was later said to mine with him, so that
would place the mining time more likely in the 1860's. Manuel was said to have
sent for his son to mine with him.  Manuel had many girlfriends in the United
States. On one occasion he showed his son, Frank, a picture of a lady friend
and told Frank that it was a picture of his mother. Frank scoffed at this,
saying that this woman was never his mother. Manuel hit his son across the back
with a shovel and Frank said later, that this was why he always had back
trouble.  Manuel eventually returned to the Azores, but later went on to Brazil
and was never heard from again.

But it is no answer to your question Cheri….what happened to my great-great
grandmother while he was off and away?? She died in 1885 at age 62.

Susan Vargas Murphy