Hi Kirsten,

Had a chance to read the linked document and also checked Marcelo's baptism
record.  Just so you understand,

1.  Birth date - he was placed on the wheel on the date you are assuming to
his birth date.
2.  He is a foundling and he belonged to the Camara of Ponta Delgada.  They
hired couples to look after abandoned babies.  These couples would be paid
to raise them up to a certain age.  After that, no one knows exactly what
happened.  Some were lucky and stayed with the family others.
3.  They were not adopted by any of the assigned couples.  So they remained
of "unknown" parents
4.  Surnames - Based on my own experience there was no rule.  Expostos
seemed to pick names after important/well known people of their towns.  I
have one direct ancestor from Ribeira Grande.  He is an exposto.  His name
is "Francisco Taveira de Neiva".  Exact same name of a very prominent
person that lived a generation before him in that town.  He did something
else too.....he named his own daughter with the same name as the "original"
Taveira's daughter Julia Taveira.

Yes, you should look up the Ponta Delgada passports in between the dates of
the application and the Ship's date.  On it, it should say where they were
heading.

I don't think the Camara's tracked their foundlings.  There were too many.
They just gave them a better chance of survival when they were abandoned by
placing them in the assigned homes., sorry.

There are professionals in this list who may be able to add to this.  Hope
they do, so we all learn more about the process.

Take care.

Margaret

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 10:11 PM, Kirsten Crosson <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Hi all, I wonder if someone an advise me about the process of leaving the
> Azores circa 1883. I was playing around with museu da emigração, and to
> my delight found a document referencing my GGGrandparents and 2 of their
> children just before they left for Hawaii. I got help with translation, and
> it appears to be more of a certification of their identity and I'm
> wondering if this was usual or perhaps because they were both illegitimate?
> The names and dates match what I had from baptism records, and so I wonder
> also if the adopting families (listed on baptisms) might have been related
> to the babies? Where and why might their last names have been chosen? Last,
> I wonder if there are additional documents I should be seeking? Thanks for
> any advice! I'll add in a link if anyone wants to see the ID doc
> firsthand-the couple are Marcelino Soares de Almeida and his wife Lucinda
> Augusta Moniz. For some reason it is titled Manuel, but that was their
> infant son.
> http://museuemigracao.cm-ribeiragrande.pt/pesquisa_
> avancada/manuel-soares-de-almeida/#respond
> Thank you!
>
> Kirsten
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Azores Genealogy" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to [email protected].
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/azores.
>



-- 
Margaret M Vicente

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to