Judy,

That's the thing. The whole intermarriage/endogamy thing messed things up.
74 cMs would be just one cousin, and it wouldn't be a 6th cousin in a
regular population. A 6th cousin in a regular population shares 9 cM on
average and the range for a 6th cousin goes up to 21 cMs, not 74cMs!!!
Endogamy fragments the DNA so it's hard to get decent blocks to work with.
Yes, it seems like the total amount of DNA in common should count for
something. It's what we are working on trying to find out. Although I
attend DNA conferences, lectures, and classes, not all of the classes are
about endogamy. We are a bit different. And it seems like the endogamous
populations are different too. Jewish, Hawaiian, Mennonites....I've been in
their classes too and conferred with many of them. They each see it a
little bit differently. It takes a long time to get the right data that we
need to figure it out. I can't force people to DNA test. People interested
in genealogy DNA test. After a while, they ask another relative to DNA
test. Then another. After building that, the fuzziness becomes a little
less fuzzy. And hopefully, will be clearer one day. Right now, we are still
asking people to DNA test. We are still in survey or census mode. So it's
kinda fuzzy. Ultimately, we need good representation from every single
freguesia on all 9 islands. That will bring it into focus. Right now,
there's some pockets here and there and those are starting to come into
focus. Many people DNA testing think that all one does in take a DNA test
and presto! There it all is. Most of us who have done genealogy for years
have only built our trees back in time. Maybe we had a few select ancestors
where we had all the kids with all their spouses. In doing DNA, you really
need to do whole family or cluster research, where you have to get your
ancestral couple, all their kids and all their grandkids with their
spouses. Then when that surprise 3rd cousin match shows up, you have a
vague idea of how that match might fit in. Most people just sit there and
wait for the DNA to magically make a tree for them. It doesn't work that
way. DNA and traditional research must be used together.

You're on the right track though. Keep plugging away and let us know what
you are figuring out. Many heads on this will be needed!
Thanks, Cheri

Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada