I think you have the wrong Manuel. He didn't marry at the age of 6.

Post what records you have found for him and under what name. You only
mentioned the 1940 census and did not state which name.

Miquelina is a woman's given name. So if you are seeing Souza Miguelina, I
would think that someone took that as an alcunha to honor her. I have one
ancestor who tacked Umbelina after his surname to honor his first wife.
Cheri

Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada