K, I don't think there are any M.D.s on this list. You'd have to go to a
university or search the PubMed on Crohns Disease. We are a genealogy list
and research our ancestors going back in time. I also believe that the
Dabney family you speak of lived before Crohn's was labeled as such.

I don't know if anyone has researched the Dabney family and has it
documented with primary sources. Many records that could be used as primary
sources just don't exist from then. If you are a male, you should take a
Y-DNA test. It will follow your Dabney line all the way back in time
(assuming there's no illegitimacy or skeleton in the closet on that line).
Family Tree DNA is the only company who still offers Y-DNA testing for
genealogy. I'd do a Y-DNA 67 marker. If that's not in your budget, start of
at a lower resolution and add more markers as the budget allows. DNA can
help in the tracing of family lines when there's no paper trail to follow.