From: azores@googlegroups.com [mailto:azores@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Elaine Mello
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2018 8:48 PM
To: Azores Genealogy
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Immigrating to the U.S.... govt records

So, after almost 2 years of trying to get information from the USCIS for my
paternal grandfather, Antonio Mello, I came home to find a CD from the USCIS -
I was so excited!

Then I put it in the computer, and found two PDFs - one which was a cover
letter saying that they couldn't find any further records and that they were
refunding me my money (though check that it actually gets refunded, just in
case they forget...) and a secondary sheet with some very basic information,
which is part of the application that they had.   So Antonio declared that he
arrived April 18, 1901 on the S.S. Donna Maria into New York, which meant he
was about 12 at the time.  He also declared he entered as Antonio Mello.   So I
looked up the ship records, and can only find one Antonio Francis, aged 13,
which may or may not be him.

So, is it unusual for people to get this wrong when filling out these forms, or
are the records I've found online of immigrants incomplete?  I'm checking with
the Justice Archives in Massachusetts to see if there is something at the state
level since the federal government was such a disappointment (though they said
I could try again as they are always searching for missing records, but that
sounds more like looking for a needle in a haystack.)  So back to the research
drawing board!

Elaine