Gloria T,

You need to do more research in the U.S. (I assume) before jumping over to
Europe. No, the archive has no type of island index. Everything in Europe
(including Portugal and the Azores) is organized on the village level. You
will find multiple Marias in all 70 churches on Sao Miguel. The records for
1899 are online at tombo.pt/en

You need Maria's birthplace and most likely her parents' names. For a list
of ideas of where to start, try this: https://goo.gl/dGG4Ar

You really need census work to see if you can figure out her immigration
year. From that, you might be able to use the Passaportes LEAVING the
Azores. However, the port of Ponta Delgada has missing records. So you may
still need to use the other sources that I posted in the URL above.

Good luck,
Cheri

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 1:46 PM, Gloria Thompson <gloriathompso...@gmail.com