Sam,  these things happened in the U. S. also. A few years back, I followed my
husband’s great grandfather from Alabama for a year. Same names in the family
so I was sure I had found him and researched them for a year.  One email from
one of the family descendants proved me wrong!! They were excited to meet new
family members and we were also.  What a disappointment!!  I did eventually
find the right family and, believe it or not, my mother in law’s note that he
was captured in the Civil War and sent to Prison camp proved to be right!!
However, I did find his Civil War record, and later found out it was noted by
family he died walking on his way back to Alabama after his release.  Proven in
next State census as father listed “lost 2 sons in the War”. Sad. Later thru
DNA, my husband matched with the second family I had researched. Sometimes you
have to take the written word with a grain of salt or, better yet, a bottle of
wine.

“E”

Sent from my iPhone