Justin B,

Pre-1906, post 1906, it doesn't matter. If they are using the name of the
council it could be the city proper or somewhere within that council. My
ancestor naturalized in 1956 and she gave the council, not the freguesia
(village). It took me 4 years and 25 documents before I found the one with
the freguesia (this was all done B.C. - before computers!)

What do you know about your ancestor so far? What documents have you found?
Cheri
Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada