We dealt with this before. We were able to show that despite
guidelines\rules governing age they did was most practical for a rural
society in a remote island location, where the bishop was seldom available
except at certain times. There were instances where godparents were under
12 years old. And some of the children being confirmed were 9 years old or
less. At a certain point in time as things developed, they were more strict
with the guidelines. But even my wife was confirmed at 11 years, before the
guideline of 13, because that was when the Bishop was due to visit. I
believe they now have designates for the bishops that can perform the
duties.

JR