The XX configuration is tricky, which many either forget or do not realize.
The Y-gene is so easy to follow because it always comes directly from
father to son, father to son, at so on. My Y-gene is the exact same one my
several times great-grandfather had (unless some genetic mutation occurred
in between).

With a female child, each parent contributes an X gene. Which grandmother
that particular X gene came from is another matter.

The X gene passed father to daughter had to come from the father's mother;
however, she had an X gene from each parent, so the X gene the father
passed on could have come either from his mother's mother or his mother's
father. In turn, that X gene could have come from different grandmothers.

What this means is full sisters can have different X genes via their
mother, as the one from their mother passed could have come from any one of
three grandmothers (either of two passed from the mother's parents or  one
passed by the father)! Add in great-grandmothers and it's even more
complicated.

In the case presented here, the fathers were different so the X gene each
one passed could be from a different grandmother as well. Thus, we can see
the importance of "triangulation" of getting DNA samples from first cousins
for comparisons, in addition to that from siblings.

Tomás Leal