HI R. Downey,

Yes, typically people can pick out the names first, the months second, and
the dates are last. And those probably have the largest learning curve.
Many of us on this list that help "read" the records learned through
perseverance. Lots of practice and it does start to make sense.
Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada