Hi Simon,

On 2012-02-15 20:23, Simon Wunderlich wrote:
Hey Martin,

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 03:53:11PM +0100, Martin Hundebøll wrote:

please excuse my superficial review, but do we really need to bloat batman-adv
by 491 more lines to drop these OGMs? I'm afraid the filter will evolve
more and more, and eventually the research/debugging code in batman-adv
is bigger than the routing code. ;)

Actually, I agree with you. The first patch was nice and (too) simple, but
quickly grew :) My initial goal with the filtering was not to get it included
in batman-adv, but just to make it available to others, who might need it. I
use it in my work on the university and will continue to keep it updated on
master.

(sorry for ranting ;] )

We like to rant and bash :)
Have you considered using and/or extending the former ebtables patch
from Linus[1]? We removed [2] it after some discussions [3], but maybe
its worth fixing these problems if its just about dropping some neighbors
packets. The patch has some problems, but it was really short and I guess
we wouldn't mind accepting the performance overhead by ebtables for
research/debugging purposes. Plus, we could make this a compile-feature too.

With my approach, we only check OGMs, which is relatively cheap, compared to
checking every incoming packet, which is why I didn't chose the netfilter path.
At this point I am satisfied with the dropping of OGM's, so I don't think I
will spend time looking into netfilter.

--
Kind regards,
Martin Hundebøll