Hi,

One of the problems I have with the whole RSS 'phenomenon' is simply that it becomes all too quickly an exercise in displaying information with varying degrees of success without actually having much point to it other than an interesting technical exercise in hacking together such feeds with applications like Google Maps & Flickr.

That is not to say I don't find the expanding frontiership many on this list and others are engaged in extremely interesting - however I am more interested in the practical and usable applications of such technologies, and I'm sure I am not alone.

To that end, I thought I'd give you a heads up of a project that is going live nationwide on 21st June (all things being equal) which combines custom GPS equipped vehicles, Greater London, and the BBC traffic feeds. Each vehicle is required to give a new positional update every 60 seconds, with 'last valid' updates being taken into account every 15 minutes. At the same time, the BBC traffic feeds are monitored by an 'intelligent' algorithm that can match GPS positional updates with reported traffic problems and alert the technical team (it is important for the purposes of this project that these vehicles are moving around).

Obviously I can't spell it out as to the nature of the project, but once the holding site goes up, I'll point you in its direction; after the project is completed, we will be releasing the GPS position / traffic RSS matching algorithm, which might be useful to some of you.

Regards,

Chris.