>BBC Worldwide Limited is company, wholly owned by the BBC, that sells
>BBC merchandise (e.g. video and audio recordings of BBC programmes,
>books, magazines, toys and games).

They're primarily there to hold the rights to BBC productions for
commercial exploitation - ie, for rebroadcast internationally, for DVD
release, and for repeat on non-BBC channels in the UK. They then
re-invest in the public service bit of the BBC on a
production-by-production basis; ie, putting money in if they think a
show has strong commercial potential after its public service 'free'
life. It's all a bit complicated, and I only vaguely understand the
arrangement.

And you're not wrong, Nico - the political and economic issues about the
idea would be... large.