> A part of what you say shows exactly why a new "global"
> standard needs to be designed to catalogue digital data. The
> time has come, for copyright reasons as well as real control
> factors, to identify every single piece of digital data that
> is produced at source. From the output of a camera or a live
> microphone, all the way through to TV/Radio/Net.... all of it
> is now digitised at some point.
> Surely at the point of encoding it will make the connections
> you speak of so much easier to control. Just select from a
> database in any control room.
> As in CD's, it needs date of production,owner,country and
> maybe a specific numerical tag to ID the exact content.
> A url is simply not enough, or too complicated, to allow the
> convergence that we are now seeing. With this, all bit-stream
> readers, from computers onwards, could read that code. I know
> it is a "big" issue, and perhaps not for Backstage, but the
> effect would be tremendous.... we could all then produce,
> connect, choose or even pay, with that same tiny professional code.

Yes, I agree.  I was going to say that there should be some 'global story
code' but I thought that would make my explanation more complex than
required.

The idea I had was that a master database could always convert the story URL
into the relevant 'global story code'.   It's always easier to implement a
system that is built on a well-supported existing system than roll out a new
one, IMHO.