At 12:52 +0000 31/1/07, Tom Loosemore wrote:
On 31/01/07, James Cridland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 1/30/07, Davy Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 Hi All,

 Thought this might be the ideal crowd...

 I am looking for a free (or cheap) hosting for MP3 files for my
 various auto-generated podcasts such as Mood News and
 comp.lang.python.

Not free, but certainly very, very cheap and hellishly reliable: Amazon S3.
www.amazon.com/s3
For you it's especially useful, since it comes BitTorrent enabled
automatically: perfect for BitTorrent-enabled clients.

S3 all the way...

I also played with Elastic Computing Cloud (EC2) which is in beta (so they say - I think they just want to make it sound cool:-)

http://aws.amazon.com/

You can get a server instance up in minutes, install whatever (I chose a standard LAMP server instance), play, and then go away. You are charged by the hour (1/10 of a US dollar per hour). The Java configuration tools work fine, and once you have set up the keys you have root access to a Fedora image under Xen.

I was able to add a domain name and have a domain shifted to AWS / EC2 in the time it takes DNS to refresh (YMMV).

****
To use Amazon EC2, you simply:

* Create an Amazon Machine Image (AMI) containing your applications, libraries, data and associated configuration settings. Or use our pre-configured, templated images to get up and running immediately. * Upload the AMI into Amazon S3. Amazon EC2 provides tools that make storing the AMI simple. Amazon S3 provides a safe, reliable and fast repository to store your images.
    * Use Amazon EC2 web service to configure security and network access.
* Use Amazon EC2 web service to start, terminate, and monitor as many instances of your AMI as needed.
    * Pay for the instance hours and bandwidth that you actually consume.
****

Very nice.

Gordo

--