On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 11:06:17AM +0000, blogHUD wrote:
> Trouble is, there aren't enough developers there at the beeb (in News, at
> least) who can do all these things - along with all the other great stuff
> they have to do.
>
> There are some amazing developers there - don't get me wrong - some are
> geniuses - some are not anything close. Some are great at Java, some are
> Flash ninjas, some do great html. Some do what they're told. Some push the
> boundaries.  Some 'watch the clock'. Some work as long as it takes to get a
> job done because they love it! ;)  Some do that little bit 'extra'.

Pretty much like any other company.  If there aren't enough developers
with the requisite skills that is a problem for either recruitment and/or
training.

> What can happen in editorially-driven sites like this is, when a
> producer/editor wants a certain 'feature', a representative of the
> design/dev team might a) say 'No! We can't do that!'  then hopefully b) Come
> up with a solution / compromise which might be down to skillsets required
> and resources available.

Policy of what is sensible to implement as Ajax, Java or Flash should
come from the technical management, and then that policy should be
followed through.  At the moment your description sounds a bit like a
case of "Oh Fred is free but he can only do Flash" is one of the main
deciding factors on what technology gets used.

--
Andy Leighton => [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   - Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_