On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 22:20 +0000, George Wright wrote:
> So, your major objection to real is that it isn't free software?

I can't speak for Andy, but my main objection to the Real formats is
that they _cannot_ be implemented in free software. It's a proprietary
format, not an open standard. Even if it were documented, it is (I
believe) covered by patents which would prevent freely-available
implementations.

Even mp3 is problematic because of the patents, although it's widely
implemented anyway. Ogg would be much better.

But Real does at least exist for Linux/PowerPC which is what I mostly
use these days, so pragmatically speaking it isn't _quite_ as bad as it
could be.

> Most things on Windows look like trojans to me. The fact that Real
> looked bad for you on windows doesn't make it bad for me on GNU/Linux or
> Sol, or whatever....

The Real codec libraries work quite nicely in xine and other players.
They don't _look_ like anything, by themselves.

> However, no-one uses ogg (see James Cridland's mail about Virgin's ogg),

My apologies; I haven't seen the mail in question and it doesn't leap
out of the archives at me. Do you have a reference?

> and we (the BBC) make stuff that we want people to use. We also make our
> own codecs, which I'm sure one day we hope people will also use.

That's a recursive argument. If the BBC made its content available in
Ogg, more of the BBC's audience would use Ogg. The _important_ point,
IMHO, is that Ogg is freely available, both libre and gratis. It need
never be a barrier to legal listening.

Operating systems don't ship with Real support either -- you have to
install that too.

> In the meantime, people do use real. I use Ogg. I'm not all people. The
> BBC has done ogg trials, and might do them again. It seems curious to
> blame real for the fact that people don't use ogg, or to ignore their
> implementation of a free server in favour of an ogg one - or have I got
> your argument the wrong way around?

I think perhaps you've missed the point. The Helix server and player are
_fine_ if it's Ogg you're serving or playing. It's the Real _formats_
which are problematic.

> 1) there's some source available under sane licences.

The important part -- and in fact I would say the only relevant part --
is the codecs. And the source for those is not available.

--
dwmw2