On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 11:08:06AM +0000, Andy wrote:
> On 06/03/07, Andrew Bowden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >And that's before you've got an operating system installed - even Linux
> >isn't without its legalities (GPL etal)
>
> GPL only applies if I copy the software. It is not a EULA, it is not a
> contract it merely waives certain copyrights. (IANAL)

(A good job too).  GPL does NOT waive any part of copyright.  Copyright
law still applies in its entirety.  What GPL does is give you a licence
(permission in everyday English) to make copies of the program, make
changes to the source code and distribute the original and your changed
version as long as you follow certain rules.

> And how do you know I haven't written my own operating system?

Because you are running a debian based linux (according to your
headers).

> Of course I use Ogg here as an example, any other free and open format
> is fine by me. As long as it is also sent via a standardised protocol.

RTSP is pretty standard, is document, and has open source
implementations.

> So far it looks to me like the BBC is intentionally trying to
> influence the software market to the detriment of the public. I hope I
> am wrong. So if you could explain _why_ the BBC is incapable of
> providing a stream in a free format it would be a start.

A think a lot of the problem is historical.  When first used there
wasn't the choice we have today.  I would imagine it would be quite a
hard sell to get the suits to agree to replace RealAudio with OGG.  That
isn't to say someone shouldn't be doing it - for the reasons David
Woodhouse mentions.

--
Andy Leighton => [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   - Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_