> Flash is binary code which executes directly on my CPU and
> has access to all the files at my privilege level (i.e. ALL
> my personal files).
> Which part of this don't you understand? It is not that a
> flash program on a website could be a threat, it's that the
> Flash Player itself could pose a security risk? Or has the
> BBC examined it's source code and is it willing to guarantee
> that this software is free from any malicious code?

If you're worried about threats to your computer, don't turn it on.

There's security risks everywhere.  The number of updates I do to my
server and home PCs is made.

And hey, one was even found in the email service you're using...
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gmail+security+risk&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe
=utf-8