Depending on the kind of media there are other ways of making money
other than charging for things that are copyable.

Music:
Charge for Live performances/concerts
Charge for physical merchandise

OK.  So if I can't perform live (due to terrible stage fright (see
XTC), disability or any other reason), what do I do?  And if you think
that physical merchandise (by which I assume you mean t-shirts etc)
can't be copied, you've obviously never been to any live gigs.
Bootleg merchandise traders are legion - and in your happy "free"
world, the band wouldn't own their own logos, album cover designs etc,
so that bootlegging would be legal.

Any other brilliant thoughts?

Cheers,

Rich.