The explanation on the symbols page is poor, but the actual text in
the feed is pretty consistant.  I've only needed to match ten phrases
to smbols since I wrote my weather map on the 1st of June.
(Admittedly, most of those are variants on "pi**ing down"... but I
digress.)  So, I match the phrases to these icons like so...

"sunny intervals"  = "icons/3_sunny_int.png";
"heavy showers"  = "icons/14_heavy_rain.png";
"light rain"   = "icons/10_light_rain.png";
"sunny"  = "icons/1_sunny_day.png";
"cloudy"  = "icons/8_black_lev_cloud.png";
"light showers" = "icons/10_light_rain.png";
"heavy rain"  = "icons/13_heavy_rain_showers.png";
"thunderstorm"  = "icons/29_thundery_shower.png";
"thundery showers"  = "icons/29_thundery_shower.png";
"drizzle"  = "icons/9_light_rain_driz.png";

And yes - I'm well aware that the BBC only seems to recognise one kind
of thunder when it comes to icons, but see fit to differentiate
between thunderstorms and thundery showers in text.

I was worried when I started the project that I'd need to pick up
sunny intervals, sunny spells, sunny periods, sunny breaks etc.  It
seems not.

Map at: www.sdldev.co.uk/weather/map.asp

Cheers,

Rich.


On 7/25/07, ~:'' ありがとうございました。 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
who to ask? weather feeds: why is the "explanation of the symbols"
not used consistently"

Who at the BBC publishes the weather feeds?

why is it that the text description and images are not consistent?
in other words, why is the "explanation of the symbols" not used
consistently?

London today forecast text is "cloudy" as it was in yesterday's
forecast for today.

whereas the graphic yesterday was "partly cloudy"
today it is "black low level cloud"

because the text and graphic are not related consistently as per the
explanation of symbols it seems virtually impossible to use the feed
accurately.

regards

Jonathan Chetwynd

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/bbcweather/features/symbols.shtml
http://feeds.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/rss/5day/world/0008.xml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=0008


-
Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe, please 
visit http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html.  
Unofficial list archive: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/



--
SilverDisc Ltd is registered in England no. 2798073

Registered address:
4 Swallow Court, Kettering, Northamptonshire, NN15 6XX
-
Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe, please 
visit http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html.  
Unofficial list archive: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/

Reply via email to