On Tuesday 31 July 2007 19:50, Dave Crossland wrote:
> There are efforts to make unauthorised sharing of television as easy
> as possible though, such as http://www.rulecam.net/ted/ and this makes
> a mockery of highly restricted systems that abuse the public's rights,

You're saying that "unauthorised sharing" is a right? Last time I looked it 
wasn't. If you want to change copyright, lobby the government. Last time I 
looked people got VERY upset if the BBC took a political stance on something.

You're appear to be advocating people break the law, whilst mocking the
BBC for respecting the state granted monopoly rights of those who make
the programmes it distributes.

Copyright is a fact of life today. iPlayer may have problems from your 
perspective, but it does do something that "TED" doesn't do: it specifically 
enables people to get at content perfectly legally, without breaking the law, 
and people using it can be happy that anything they get that way won't get 
them in trouble with some rights holder.

*THAT* is an achievement, and its a very important achievement, and one 
incredibly easy to overlook because you're defending the "rights" of others 
to unauthorised sharing.

Can it be done in better ways? Sure - all technology can be improved.

I would **personally** appreciate people NOT discussing personal politics on
this list. I'd also personally appreciate people not encouraging people to 
break the law on this list.

BUT that's just my personal opinion. If its considered fair game, I may as 
well unsubscribe - after all the BBC works within the law, it doesn't make 
the law, and people get extremely upset when the BBC *does* play politics.


Michael.
-
Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe, please 
visit http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html.  
Unofficial list archive: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/

Reply via email to