On 11/6/07, Tom Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Forget management, I fear you'll find that the BBC Trust's permission
> to offer 7 days catchup TV was predicated on using DRM.
>
> Various parts of its non-DRM on demand radio proposals (book readings,
> classical music) failed the  Public Value Test due to the BBC Trust's
> fears over the negative market impact of non-DRM downloads.

Agreed, and this does add some spice to the debate. Having been mildly
close to the stats about the UK audiobook market I think it's safe to
say these three things:

1) BBC Worldwide audiobooks (ie people paying for access to BBC stuff,
be it TV or Radio) have about 50% marketshare. It can do this because,
although there's rights issues the cost of production for the material
is usually already sunk. (although I could be wrong here)

2) Audiobooks are stuck in a trap where high costs of production and
low sell through cause high prices which stifle potential demand (ie
from digital) which makes them very easy to undercut but also
perversely quite low margin for the production.

3) The UK audiobook market is tiny. Really, really small. We're
talking double/very low three figure sales to get into the weekly top
10 most weeks.

These points are attempting to be put without prejudice but it is
interesting to note that there are certainly more Linux users in the
UK than there are regular retail audiobook purchasers ;-) (there are
other sources of access to audiobooks so it's a bit apples/oranges but
still worth a laugh).

Nick