On 05/12/2007, Michael Sparks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> And that agrees with the premise of an /analogy/ of speech - "you should think
> of free as in free speech, not as in free beer."(paragraph 2)

But the analogy is flawed because the freedoms are different. The
freedom of speech is the freedom to express one's self without
restriction.

The four freedoms of the GPL are to do with
modification/distribution/usage/opacity and are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT
both practically and metaphorically.

The GPL v3 does not restrict your freedom to "speak" the source code
it restricts your freedom to remove the freedom to
modify/distribute/use/study.

> > Software is an act of creativity (like art or poetry)
>
> Poetry is speech.

Yes, it's also a creative act. So say I write a poem called "Noah is
awsum" and I licenced it under the GPL v3 all I would be doing is
stopping you from removing the freedom to modify/distribute/use/study.
I would not be restricting your freedom to recite the poem and hence
the whole analogy to free speech is wrong.

Vijay's argument is conflating the freedom to perform/speak/run with
the freedom to alter further modification/distribution/usage/opacity.

These two things are not the same, they're not even related.

--
Noah Slater <http://bytesexual.org/>

"Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results." - R. Stallman