On Wednesday 05 December 2007 20:48:47 Noah Slater wrote:
> But the analogy is flawed because the freedoms are different. The
> freedom of speech is the freedom to express one's self without
> restriction.

If you disagree with the notion that free speech/free software is a bad
analogy, I suggest you take it up with Vijay or Matt not me :-) (It's not my
analogy, and it's been on Matt's org's website for a longer than I can
remember ( >10 years) ). (I must admit I'm thinking of gnu.org there though
rather than fsf.org)

That said, as I said, you're welcome to disagree. I don't know why you're
shouting at me though, I was explaining as I understood it Vijay's extension
of the analogy regarding a definition of free software.

I wasn't speaking about the GPL (any version) at all. (You asked for
clarification on what Vijay was referring to, so I explained _his_ definition
as I understood it. (I don't have to agree with an idea to explain it)

Incidentally, where you say this:

> The four freedoms of the GPL are to do with
> modification/distribution/usage/opacity and are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT
> both practically and metaphorically.

As well as shouting, you're also agreeing with me. I also said they're
different:

  ... that page is using [free speech] as a means of /explanation/ rather than
  definition (perhaps). The definition there is based on defining a set of
  rules and then applying Kant's law of universality. (cf "Kantian
  ethics"/"golden rule" in the GNU manifesto)

That's practically and metaphorically different (as well as a different
philosophical basis). Indeed that was the point being raised - that there are
different possible views from a similar starting point and despite a similar
moral desire. (each of which may find the other invalid) I found it
fascinating, you _appear_ to (to me) find it aggravating.

I'll leave it there, since we're actually agreeing on the fact they're
different, but you're shouting at me.

Regards,

Michael.