On 14/12/2007, Matthew Cashmore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> so like all other BBC Content it
> can't be used in any commercial sense

What about those BBC DVDs that are sold commercially, don't the likes
of HMV/Amavon etc. sell them for commercial profit?

See BBC content *can* and *is* used commercially.

> MP3 works on everyone's computer with free (as
> in cost) software

You could only possibly know that if you had accessed and scanned the
software of every single computer in the world. I sure as hell didn't
authorise you to do that with my computer. Are you admitting to
Unauthorised Access under the Computer Misuse Act?

What is a BBC employee doing scanning the software on users PCs
without telling them? Is this why iPlayer's source is secret, do you
have a function in there for this purpose?

> it just works for everyone

No it doesn't. Can't play an MP3 with this machines default media player.

> and we're more than happy for
> people to take the podcast and re-encode them to what-ever format people
> want.

Fine, point me to the original raw quality audio file and it will be done.

> but do not feel our time is best spent encoding into separate
> formats when we know MP3 will work for everyone.

Nice to see the usual lies resurface.

Computers can do the transcoding for you.
try:
oggenc podcast.wav
(insert correct filename)

Odd how you claim taking 3 seconds to type a command is too long
(shorter if you use tab auto-complete).
And yet you wrote a long email justifying your choice not to do that.
In the time you took to write that email you could probably have typed
that command 52 times, (1 a week for an entire year), if not more.

Or you could save even more time by using some kind of script connected to cron.

How much does the BBC pay people to do the work of small shell scripts?
Maybe you should make them redundant and replace them with scripts
saving enough money to buy that really expensive free software the BBC
claims it can't afford. (I was actually told the BBC would have to
increase the license fee to stream in Ogg because of the cost of the
software).

Andy

--
Computers are like air conditioners.  Both stop working, if you open windows.
                -- Adam Heath