> What I /heart/ about the pre-2K bit of plastic is the way it takes control
> over your TV/DVD and insists that you watch the copyright notices and it
> tries to thrust the 'don't copy videos' advert on to you. Why should any
> company have the right to stop you using your own DVD controls and force you
> to watch the messages it demands that you watch.  It 'steals' your
> electricity and screen time to display its messages and if you tot up all
> the hours people waste waiting to have control over their DVDs then you
> realise that it wastes a lot of energy and is anything but green. Wonder why
> this imposition hasn't been challenged in the courts. It is a small but very
> annoying thing.

Useful tip: Turns out that pirated videos don't have these annoying
warnings on them, allowing you to go straight to the film after you
pop it in the player and offering a far more pleasant viewing
experience because of it. Now you'll know for next time ;)

In all seriousness, who those messages are intended for is entirely
beyond me. I even know the guy who cut together the original "Pirated
videos are low quality" infomercial and the message I got is that it
was no ones idea - it's just one of these things that got passed on
and agreed by committee without any kind of sanity checking. It was
originally a zero-budget one-off clip to be shown before (I think)
LotR.

As far as Blu Ray is concerned, it's pretty apparent to me that the
manufacturers think the lack of uptake was down to the Blu Ray/HD DVD
spat and not because people clearly have no need for either at present
unless they have a full size cinema screen in their living rooms
(which, granted, I'm sure some people do). The uptake of DVD was so
rapid because people hated VHS. It was bad quality, it degraded over
time, plus you had to rewind/fast forward on it, which was just
annoying. DVD was a technology that was an obvious progression after
the popularity of CD and is still of more than reasonable quality even
for today's high spec TVs. There are no gaps in the market that Blu
Ray is bridging.

Iain