-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Matt Barber
Sent: 19 February 2008 16:35
To: backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk
Subject: Re: [backstage] HD-DVD / Blu Ray

On Feb 19, 2008 3:51 PM, Sean DALY <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The deck makers don't mind giving you control, but the disc sellers
> do. That spam bit of FBI warning (means a lot in France) is Hollywood,
> terrified that they will suffer by not offering consumers what they
> want (cf.: the music industry). In both cases the basic model has been
> to upgrade physical record formats every few years then laugh all the
> way to the bank. They should have taken a clue from the failure of
> Super Audio CD. Consumers readily understand the advantages in
> investing in a new widescreen telly to better view their 80 or 100
> DVDs, but the idea of replacing all those films yet again, after VHS
> (or Beta)??

True that replacing all those films would be annoying - but the
blu-ray/HD players are backwards compatible to DVD. That's the good
thing about this particular evolution in format, is that the form
factor has remained the same. I'm not sure about the cases however,
they look like they might be a different shape? But anyway, it's a
nicer transition than, say, to BETA, where we had a completely
different tape etc.