I think that if you compare Vinyl with anything round and shiny, CD's DVD etc... you have a point Ian. But every generation I know, from 72 to 11 year olds, is now just putting it all on computers. Today my mother came across your new BBC home page and was really excited about the iPlayer.... until I tried to explain why she can't access it from Spain, she is old! As far as I can see, the wider public have become consumers.... completely. With little intention of keeping physical packaging beyond the life of the product, which if you can transfer it, is very short with CD. A little harder with DVD, but we are trying ;-) Musically, the future for me is in mixing 5.1 or 6.1 mixes. Yes, everyone will have to own home theatres to hear how great it is.... but with the quality control, up to 96K sampling right now.... and the large size of files.... it will be a lot easier to control the delivery and copying through the net. In car this will be awesome to hear. In this sense I think the future is more about content than delivery. I don't see any good reason to buy Blu Ray..... especially if I can legally torrent HD programmes sometime in the near future. I can get an Apple TV and loads of HD space for similar money.
Regards
RichE

On 20 Feb 2008, at 15:57, Ian Forrester wrote:

I don't know guys, it may have been said multiple times but the only winner in this battle must be the online services.

However I'm still left wondering when the general public will get their head around non-physical media. People seem to like the look and feel of physical media like CDs, Vinyl, DVDs.

Cheers

Ian Forrester

This e-mail is: [x] private; [] ask first; [] bloggable

Senior Producer, BBC Backstage
BC5 C3, Media Village, 201 Wood Lane, London W12 7TP
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
work: +44 (0)2080083965
mob: +44 (0)7711913293
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:owner- [EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of David Woodhouse
Sent: 20 February 2008 13:31
To: backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk
Subject: RE: [backstage] HD-DVD / Blu Ray

On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 15:26 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
What I /heart/ about the pre-2K bit of plastic is the way it takes
control over your TV/DVD and insists that you watch the copyright
notices

Sounds like you need to get yourself a better DVD player.

--
dwmw2

-
Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group. To unsubscribe, please visit http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/ mailing_list.html. Unofficial list archive: http://www.mail- archive.com/backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk/

-