Iain Wallace wrote:
 That's how the iPhone is doing it (and the Flash player, and all the
 other network media players that support progressive downloads), yes.
 Obviously progressive downloads and streaming are very different things,
 but in the domain of Internet video, the former seem to be meeting a lot
 of users' requirements at the moment.

The Flash player wasn't - it was using RTMP, which enables the client
to feed back about bandwidth to maintain a stream quality that the
client can handle and also to skip to any point without downloading
the preceding file contents.

I'm sure you knew this - just clarifying.

Apologies, I wasn't talking about the BBC's video services, and I wasn't sufficiently clear - Flash *can* play video back via a progressive download (cf Youtube), or it can "stream" the video via RTMP as you point out. (I use the quotes because different people expect different things from the term - in a broadcast (or multicast) context people might expect streaming to preclude a return path back to the server, for example.)